“Engagement” is that magic word often found on the Internet, which seems to be the secret of the success for many companies. But what is it exactly, and why is it so fundamental to a marketing strategy?
Among other meanings, engagement also means “commitment” and refers to the ability of a brand to create a robust and long-lasting relationship with the audience. By profoundly engaging the user, the company can quickly transform random visitors to customers, thus increasing sales. Engagement must thoroughly focus on consumer`s needs (and later on profits, as consumers will arrive more spontaneously over time).
How to calculate the engagement rate.
There are multiple ways to measure the engagement rate. Thanks to some KPIs, you can access detailed information on the “health” of the brand-audience relationship. These are some of the metrics to be considered:
– repeated views on a website
– bounce rate on a blog
– number of user comments
– number of subscribers to a newsletter
– tally of likes on social media
You can monitor the amount of interactions each channel earns (web, blog, newsletter, social media, etc.) and later advise an independent strategy for each of them.
How to achieve a good level of engagement: the 4 E’s of engagement
As a marketing expert, Jamie Anderson takes an interesting approach to the importance of engagement: the 4 E’s of engagement.
Excellence. In a world saturated with brands, it is essential to underline the importance of doing things better than others.
Empathy. To connect with the consumer, we need to be in touch with them continuously. We must show that we are present, that we hear them, and genuinely understand their needs. Empathy goes above all.
Exclusivity. It means engaging with customers in a fully customized way so that customers feel special.
E-commerce. The ultimate goal of a good strategy is to increase sales.
4 recommendations to improve your engagement rate
- Listen to the audience. In doing so, you can detect errors and modify actions according to user ‘s needs (expressed in comments, surveys, and so on…).
- Ask questions. Followers’ opinion is a sure-fire way to get to know them better. “Rate the product on a scale from 1 to 10 “, “Which one do you prefer, version A or version B?”
- Be creative. To build a lasting bond with the audience, the first thing to do is to lure their attention: creativity is like a surprise that remains imprinted in the mind of the audience. This will build solid bases for a good level of engagement.
- Gauge results. To improve the engagement rate, establish regular controls and use them to measure your progress and change the course if necessary.